The Association of Anaesthesiologists of Malta (AAM) through it’s elected committee strives to look after the interests and wellbeing of its members at all levels, promote the highest standards in the practice of anaesthesiology and intensive care, as well as safeguard patient safety. It was not conceived as or intended to be a trade union, and as such has limited executive powers. The AAM committee is elected for a term of three years. Committee meetings are held on a monthly basis, and an annual general meeting, open to all members, is usually held in the first half of each calendar year.
Specific benefits of membership include:
- Representation at a European and International level through Associate Membership of the European Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care (ESAIC), and affiliation to the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA).
- Representation on the European Board of Anaesthesiology (EBA), which is the anaesthesiology section of the European Union of Medical Specialities (UEMS).
- Associate ESAIC membership entitles members to free on-line access to three journals; the European Journal of Anaesthesiology (EJA), the Current Opinion in Critical Care, and the Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology; a free subscription to the ESAIC e-newsletter (and the digital version of the ESAIC newsletter), plus discounted registration rates for the annual Euroanaesthesia Congress.
- Participation at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) allows members to be informed about the work and progress of the AAM committee, and encourages debate of themes, concerns and ideas.
- Representation on the Maltese Specialist Accreditation Committee (SAC).
- Promotion and safeguarding of the required standards in Specialist Training. The AAM is well represented on the Local Anaesthesia Training Committee. The AAM committee is also responsible for preparing, publishing and updating the Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Training Document.
- The AAM endorses the Ann Dorothy Cuschieri Event which showcases trainee research and audit.
- Membership entitles you to access to the members only section of the New AAM Website, which allows access to guidelines, landmark trials, wellbeing and support articles and information, the burnout questionnaire results, as well as links to other websites and the forum.
- Members are encouraged to attend and enjoy the social events which the AAM committee organizes on a regular basis. These traditionally consist of a Christmas dinner or buffet as well as a more informal Summer event.
- The AAM is proud and honoured to be able to contribute towards local philanthropic causes through financial donation and participation in philanthropic activities
Categories and rates of annual membership are as indicated below.
|CATEGORY||ANNUAL FEE (Euros)|
|Ordinary Member(Resident Specialist or Consultant)||€50|